I did great tonight writing. I started a scene that was kind of random, but seemed to work with the direction of the story. I decided that I needed to create more tension between Loretta/Arietta and her "old" friends.
Here's a section from my WIP:
The bus stopped in front of the high school and vomited us out onto the sidewalk. I did a quick search for Anthony’s new car, not that I expected it to be there. Claudia was getting out of her dad’s truck; James from the other side. My eyes met his. Did I detect a shrug before he turned around and reached for his backpack?
Someone bumped me from behind. “Don’t stop there.” Brendon gave me slight push, but backed away when I turned to face him. “Oh, sorry, Loretta. I didn’t know it was you.”
I gave him a weak smile. “No problem.” I stepped off the sidewalk and watched James and Claudia make their way across the parking lot. A lively conversation between them kept their eyes on each other. I watched them all the way to the double doors. James reached for the door, held it for Claudia, placed his hand on the small of her back before entering the school. I wasn’t sure what to make of that motion. They’d tried a kiss once—said it felt like cousins. Whatever the gesture, I was envious, even if it was nothing more than friendly.
Betsy
Nice! I particularly like the 'placed his hand in the small of her back....wasn't sure what to make of that motion' Setting it up for a bit of competition/jealousy? :)
ReplyDelete