741 words!
Rather pleased with myself.
Here's a brief except--there's some that happens before and some after; this is right in the middle of the scene:
“No horsey!” I kept telling him. First I wasn’t in the mood, and second I was grounded to the perimeters of the yard. Lame! I felt like a six year old told not to cross the road.
“Horsey!” His demands grew more intense.
“J.W. if you don’t stop, I’m going to put you to bed.” This was ridiculous as well. First he could climb better than any monkey I’d also seen at the zoo. And second, he would not fall asleep at ten in the morning. All I had to do was hold out for two more hours. Feed him, change him, and let Na’Omiri curl up with to get him to fall asleep.
“Horsey!” Instead of tugging, he slapped my legs.
I picked him up, tossed him up into the air. “Wee... See, better than horsey.”
Not better. He screamed, piercing my ears. Holding him against my shoulder, he reached up and yanked on my ear—the pointed end.
“Ouch.” I pulled his hands down and gave his hand a sharp yank.
When he did it again, I set him down with a resounding thunk on the carpet. “Watch Teletubbies.”
His back arched and he hollered like I’d injured him. I yelled at him—I screamed at him—I even growled at him. I wasn’t sure whose hair I wanted to yank, his or mine. Instead, I slapped him across the top of his head. In horror I drew my hand back and bit down hard on my knuckles until I drew blood.
His crying intensified. I ran to my room and stopped myself from slamming the door. I pressed my forehead into the door jam; hot tears ran down my cheek. What was wrong with me? I adored my brother. Never in my life had I ever thought of hurting him. Now I had.
Betsy
Betsy
Wow, after re-reading this, I start my sentences with "I" way to much. Ah, something to edit later. Just get the darn story down, right?
ReplyDeleteHow's your writing coming?
Yeah for the 721 words!!!! I only had 89, and I was enven up for a good write! But, oh well, life has a way of getting in the way! Maybe tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteGreat scene by the way! Makes me want to read more!