So here's a piece of what I did tonight. Hope you enjoy.
“Ah, it’s okay. I’ve been rejected before.” He put his hand on my shoulder, either so I couldn’t get up, or so no one would see us. “About the other day…”
“I said I was sorry—“
“You didn’t make me fall. I slipped. I don’t know what happened, but it was all my fault. I should have said something, but I was in so much pain, and I wasn’t thinking right, and…”
I went back to digging in my backpack for my homework. He kept his hand on me. I tried to shrug it off without looking like I didn’t want him to touch me. “I really need to turn this in.” I pulled out the assignment, which in actuality was a half finished paper.
Before he dropped his hand, he whispered, “The offer’s still on if you want to go to winter formal with me.”
Without acknowledging I’d heard a word he said, I walked to the turn-in basket and deposited my paper.
Ms. Wilkins had mysteriously appeared. “You are tardy, Loretta.”
“I was here—I was turning in my paper.”
“You were not in your seat when the bell rang. Go to the office and get a tardy slip.”
“I was here. Dale saw me.” I looked at him, hoping he’d back me.
“Go with me to the winter formal, and…” he mouthed.
How could he blackmail me like this? “No,” I shouted at him. I'd sooner fight another Fir’Anes.
“No?" Ms. Wilkins advanced on me. "That’s it, young lady, go to Mr. Warren’s office. You couldn’t even last one day back?” She picked up the phone and began dialing the front office.
I gathered up my things and this time I made sure that if I was going to get suspended it was going to be for something I really did do. I kicked his stool right out from under him. In retrospect, I suppose it was a good thing he didn’t get hurt or I would have probably been expelled, but the three day suspension was well worth it.Betsy
We should definitely sign our blogs at the end of writing.
ReplyDeleteHugs! Hope your writing went better.
Loved it!
ReplyDelete